Wednesday, October 10, 2012

This is Home

First off I would like to apologize for not writing in six months! That is such a long time and I do sincerely apologize. My brain has been buzzing with fantastical things to share and yet I still have to search for the right words to say. All in due time, I suppose. Secondly, I would like to make a confession. I am writing this instead of working on two reflections due Friday. I guess I love you all more than homework ;)

Since the day I left Santa Barbara and began settling into new life at Seattle Pacific University (SPU), many of you began asking me the infamous question "How is SPU?!" First to clear any confusion, I would like to say that this post was not made to discourage any future conversations centered around this question. In fact, I encourage you to continue to ask me this question throughout my college years. SO HOW IS SPU?!!?!?!?! In one word. Home. SPU is home.

If you had asked me my thoughts on college prior to my current experience, I would not have associated college with home. Home is Santa Barbara. Home is where the surf is, where the weather is almost always between 60 and 70 degrees, where Mexican food is authentic, and where basically everything is provided for me. Home is comfortable and familiar. If you had asked me I would not have said home is Seattle Pacific University.

I was, to be honest, not comfortable with moving to Seattle. I was not comfortable with moving to Seattle because I was too comfortable with staying in Santa Barbara. I was well grounded in my community, my family, and my church and leaving would be completely unbearable. I was afraid that I would not find an equivalent (or as close as can be equivalents) to the three most important things in my life. I definitely did not trust that the God of the universe, who blessed me with an indescribable family (I actually do not have words to describe how wonderful my family is), a loving community, and healthy church, was going to bless me in new and profound ways. I often forget that God has poured out, is pouring out, and will always pour out his great and many blessings.

Seattle, the city I hardly know is home. Seattle Pacific University, the school I have known for three weeks is home. This is home. From the moment I moved into my dorm, met my roommate, left my parents, and began engaging in SPU culture I knew I had made the right decision. Any doubts, fears, discontentment, and discouragement in the weeks prior to my big move, immediately dissipated and I was filled with comfort, contentment, excitement, and hope. It became so clear to me that God had always been with me. All He wanted was for me to trust Him.

So, How is SPU?!?! To actually answer the "how" part of the question, SPU is absolutely wonderful and I am so excited to be here and be a part of something so unfamiliar to me. I am excited to see where God leads me this year and in the years to come.

Much love to all of you.


Note: Just because I have found a new home does not mean that I have completely moved on from my first home. Santa Barbarians (and non-Santa Barbarians!!) please write, call, text, email, Facebook, skype, VISIT, etc. me. I MISS YOU ALL. And I wish you could all be here with me during this new chapter.





3 comments:

  1. What a well written post ...thanks for sharing from your heart! I look forward to hearing about your new home and your new adventure! Sounds like you are right where God wants you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool...Miss you Elise, but glad you are doing well

    ReplyDelete