Sunday, November 11, 2012

Things on my mind and Romans 12:2

I have a lot of things on my mind. Always. There is always something that is distracting me from something else. Right now, these distractions, these thoughts and ideas and notions are not a bad thing. Ha and now I don't even know where to start. Within the past several weeks God has planted so many great ideas and concerns into my tiny brain and I do not know how to process them. My classes at SPU have totally opened my eyes to realize how I am living my life now and how I need to start living according to God's commands. I think the main reason why my head is exploding is because I am so excited to get involved with God's plan--in my city, in Santa Barbara, in the United States, in every country all over the world. The best part is that I can start NOW. Let me tell you about some of the crazy ideas inside my head.

My USEM (freshman seminar class) class is focused on the environment and how God commands us to keep and sustain creation (because he also keeps and sustains us). As simple as that sounds, let me tell you, there are so many different parts involved with the care of creation. This is such a complex topic and it has been difficult for me to fully commit to all of what God is asking of me and the entire human population. BUT I do understand that God created the earth and when I disrespect His creation I am disrespecting Him, the creator. There are several ways in which I (and you also!) can keep and sustain creation. First, walk to places that are close by and take the bus to places that are far away.   This is a bit easier for me since I do not have a car at school and most of close friends do not either. Also rain is so not a big deal in Seattle. ITS OKAY TO WALK IN THE RAIN AND GET WET. What's a little water gunna do? Also, side note it does not rain everyday 24/7 in Seattle. Outsiders really do not understand this (don't worry I was once one too). God created rain. Why not enjoy that too? :)

Second, check the origin/background of the products you are buying. Was it produced locally? Was it produced through slave labor? How were the animals treated?  Etc. etc. etc. These are very good questions to consider when shopping for food and everyday essentials. I have definitely become more aware of what I am eating and who I am supporting when I buy certain things, like coffee. Local coffee shops are less likely to support slave labor and are more likely to support fair trade. Unfortunately, I cannot know where all of the food I am eating in Gwinn originated and I do not have enough money to daily shop locally and pay for college. I am working on this one.

Third, recycle and reuse. Invest in a reusable water bottle. Store your shoes in banana boxes in your dorm room;). Recycle the clothes you wear (and don't care about others' thoughts on how you dress--in or out of style according to them!). Give your old clothes to thrift stores and shop for "new" clothes at thrift stores. This is HUGE (as in SO important) to me. I love the thrift store--shopping and donating! And I love the idea of the thrift store. I am the type of person who will use/wear something until it is so completely mangled that it literally has to be thrown away. I do not waste anything. If I no longer want or need something I give it to the thrift store knowing that someone needs this more than I. I have always been money conscious, but my thrift store addiction has taken to me new levels of frugality (check out that word). I can no longer shop in regular clothing stores without feeling like I am spending way too much money. Honestly, its gotten to the point where shopping in stores like Old Navy and Forever 21--where they sell their clothes for cheap--is overwhelming and almost frustrating because I feel like I cannot buy anything because I will be spending too much. For a long time I struggled with this frugality and frustration. I wanted to find a good reason to completely commit to only shopping at the thrift store. And now that I finally have a good reason I am too scared to commit. Commitment is so difficult for me. My roommate and I rearranged the furniture in our dorm after only living in our room for almost two months. I like change. In some ways and at certain times change is actually good for me. But seriously. I am really good at saying "I love Jesus," but not always so good at living out a faith that speaks for itself. If I commit to only shopping at the thrift store, won't I sometimes want to shop at Target or Nordstrom? Yeah, of course. God says we are going to be tempted, but that we should holdfast because HE who is greater than our temptations is going to give us a way out. God provides.

SO, I have decided to make a HUGE commitment. A commitment that I do not want to go in the mindset of thinking that this is only temporary and that I can go back to shopping at regular stores if needed. No, do not let me fall back into that. Hold me accountable. From this point forward, I am committing to buying all of my clothes (minus underwear for hygienic purposes) at thrift stores, buffalo exchanges, and the like. That being said, I will still wear clothing bought by other people from normal stores. Parents and family and anyone who strongly desires to buy me clothing: Please do not feel obligated to buy clothes for me from thrift stores because I know it takes MEGA patience to actually find exactly what you are looking for. I will still love you and still wear the things you give to me. However, I will also love you if you choose to support me and buy me clothes from the thrift store.
If you have any questions or concerns or ideas, please share!


Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing, and perfect will. Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment